Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Patriarchy

In my opinion i think England and many other countries are ruled by a patriarchal society. I mean a good amount of the worlds leaders are men. Also men have always been the more dominant force. Now I am not saying that its right that men have always had power, but I am merely stating a fact. Patriarchy is prevalent in many other cultures and societies. It's not just England. The way that Woolf talks about men tho is so one sided. I know that the male race has made it hard for women to have power, or to seize some sort of power. But how can you chastise a whole sex. I looked at a past issue of the Boston Globe, and if there was a being from a different planet of course he would think that our society is a patriarchal one. There are so many male politicians and so many males that hold power. In any newspaper, I think that there would be an overwhelming amount of male faces that female. Thats not to say that females don't have power. All in all i think that the dominance of the male population in the world and in the media is very overwhelming but there is always room for change.

No comments: